Citizen Complaint Process
- If you wish to make a complaint about the actions of an officer or about any aspect of law-enforcement operations, please:
- Come to the department and tell any employee that you want to make a complaint; or
- Call the department and tell the person answering the phone that you want to make a complaint; or
- Write your complaint and mail it to the chief of police.
- A supervisory officer will assist you in filling out a complaint form. This form asks you to identify yourself and then to give specific details about your complaint.
- Your complaint will then be investigated. You may be contacted and asked additional questions about your complaint.
- If it is going to take a long time to investigate your complaint, you will receive a letter telling you approximately when you may expect a reply.
- When your complaint has been investigated, the chief of police will review the investigation and will write you a letter explaining what has been determined regarding the complaint and what action, if any, will be taken by the department as a result thereof.