The Town of Delmar began in a field at the end of the Railroad Line in 1859.
The First Chief of Police for Both States was Arthur Lenwood "Dick" Godfrey who was hired as Chief of Police for Maryland about 1928 and served for 16 years as chief before being appointed to also serve as chief for Delmar, Delaware. Chief Godfrey died shortly after his appointment due to complications from a leg injury which occurred in 1938 while working for the Town of Delmar as overseer of the Disposal Plant.
Police Department consolidated May 17th, 1954.
Passenger Train service ended in Delmar in 1965.